Year 1 - C
Welcome to Year 1 Creative Cs! My name is Mrs Guerin and I will be teaching Year 1 this year.
What an amazing first term we have had in Year 1! The children have thoroughly enjoyed our recent topic on ‘Nocturnal Animals’ and are looking forward to our next area of learning which is ‘Great Explorers’. We will continue to have fun with our learning and take part in practical, hands-on activities to support our learning journey. We will continue to develop our independent learning skills as well as working hard together. Our achievements from both home and school will be celebrated and shared with family and the rest of our school.
We are really looking forward to seeing everyone back at school in the New Year! Please feel free to come and speak to me throughout the year should you have any questions, queries or concerns.
Our topic this half term will be based on the famous explorers Ibn Battuta, Christopher Columbus, Neil Armstrong and Robert Falcon Scott.
We will be:
- Creating time lines of each explorer’s life and learning about why they were famous.
- Plotting each explorer’s journey by drawing simple maps.
- Using pencil shading to create a portrait of a chosen explorer and using collage to create a picture of a setting.
- Learning some basic Spanish words and phrases from Dora the Explorer.
- Writing a range of genres including diaries, newspaper articles, biographies, stories and letters.
- In Maths, we will be learning and refining our addition and subtraction methods.
- We will be using Purple Mash to create information posters about Christopher Columbus or Neil Armstrong.
- Our science topic will be Seasonal Changes. We will be observing the winter season and discussing how the weather and environment has changed during the colder months.
- In PSHE we will be learning about the importance of team work.