Year 2 - A
Welcome to Year 2. We Are the ‘Ambitious A’s’. I am Miss Harrison and I am the class teacher.
I am thoroughly looking forward to teach Year 2 again this year and I am excited to see you all become more independent learners. We are going to be working as a team to become the very best we can be.
In our class, we will combine learning new skills with having fun, and joining in enthusiastically with all curriculum areas. We will have lots of opportunities to share and celebrate our achievements, both from school and at home, with our friends, teachers and the rest of the school. We will ask thoughtful and exciting questions about what we are learning throughout the year. By working hard with our parents and carers at home as well as giving 100% at all times in school, we will achieve lots of successes that we can all be proud of.
Shoot for the moon; even if you miss you will end up amongst the stars! And remember, a day without laughter is a day wasted!
Our topic this half term will be ‘London’s Burning.’ During the topic we will be:
- Learning about how and why the fire spread so quickly.
- Creating a timeline of the significant events before, during and after the Great Fire of London.
- Discussing the reliability of sources including pictures and recounts and deciding what they tell us about the fire.
- Building houses from junk to recreate the Great Fire of London
- Using ICT to create a moving picture of the Great Fire; present our learning using various ICT programmes and using purple mash to create a Fire Safety poster.
- Using instruments to add sound effects to the song ‘London’s Burning’
- Writing diary entries, newspaper articles, letters and stories
- Refining our number skills including place value, partitioning, ordering and comparing
- Looking at the uses of different materials and classifying them according to their uses.
- Looking at some key religious figures and symbols.
- Developing our resilience through Dame Don’t Give Up.