Year 2 - A
Welcome to Year 2. We Are the ‘Ambitious A’s’. I am Miss Harrison and I am the class teacher.
What a brilliant first term we have had! We have worked so hard to become independent learners. We have developed an excellent team spirit in our class and have supported and encouraged each other to be the very best we can be.
Already this year we have learnt lots of new skills, had fun and worked hard. We have had lots of opportunities to share and celebrate our achievements, both from school and at home, with our friends, teachers and the rest of the school already and there are still lots more to come.
We have been asking thoughtful and exciting questions about our learning, sharing our ideas and listening to the ideas of others. By working hard with our parents and carers at home as well as giving 100% at all times in school, we have already achieved lots of successes and are looking forward to achieving lots more things as we continue on our Year 2 journey.
Shoot for the moon; even if you miss you will end up amongst the stars! And remember, a day without laughter is a day wasted!
Our topic this half term will be based on the famous explorers Ibn Battuta, Christopher Columbus, Neil Armstrong and Robert Falcon Scott.
We will be:
- Creating time lines of each explorer lives and learning about why they were famous.
- Plotting each explorer’s journey by drawing simple maps.
- Using pencil shading to create a portrait of a chosen explorer and using collage to create a picture of a setting.
- Learning some basic Spanish words and phrases from Dora the Explorer.
- Learning about Judaism, in particular Hanukah.
- Writing a range of genres including diaries, newspaper articles, biographies, stories and letters.
- In Maths, we will be learning how to divide and looking at the link between multiplication and division; using our data handling skills to create graphs and answer questions about them and learning about the properties of 2D and 3D shapes.
- We will be using Purple Mash to create information posters about Christopher Columbus or Neil Armstrong.
- Our science topic will be Scientists and Inventors and we will learn about the famous scientists Louis Pasteur (germs), Charles Macintosh (waterproof fabric) and Rachel Carson (Marine Biology)
- In PSHE we will be learning about the importance of team work.