Year 6 – Y
Hello! Welcome to the ‘Wondering Ys’ class Page.
Hello! Welcome to the ‘Wondering Y’s’ class page. As you will already know, the team consists of: Mr Sykes and a team of other talented adults. We have had a superb first term and want to maintain our momentum. We are privileged to be spending such a significant part of your child’s primary education together. We look forward to sharing in more of their successes and creating more memories together which we will all remember forever!
We would like to take this opportunity to tell you what your children can expect as we embark on the next chapter of their education:
We will create a stimulating, engaging and exciting learning environment where your child will feel comfortable, confident and respected. We are going to face subjects that will both inform and engage your children in their learning. We must continue to try new things, this is something is a continual challenge. We must continue to have the drive to constantly improve and to persevere when we find things challenging. We will continue to bring lessons to life using a multitude of interactive resources, making the learning experience as fun as possible!
We will work independently on some projects and in teams on others but we will always recognise each other’s achievements and reward success. We will display our work with pride and share our accomplishments with the rest of the school.
We’re ready for some more challenges and hard work when you are.
Our topic this half term has a geographical and historical focus and is entitled “You are either with us, or against us.”
- In English, we will be using historical events and geographical understanding to support our writing which will include recounts and newspaper reports.
- In Mathematics, this half term we will approach a number of mathematical problems and we will be taking on the Year 6 curriculum. We will solve a range of fluency, reasoning and open-ended problems.
- In Science, we will build on our knowledge and understanding of different systems within the body. We will research the parts and functions of the circulatory system and how nutrients are transported around the human body.
- In History we will look at life-changing events in the history of America and the impact it had at the time and today. We will use a range of evidence to ask question and debate interpretations.
- In Geography we will name and locate the countries of North and South America and identify their main physical and human characteristics.
- In Art and Design we will use collage techniques. We will mix textures (rough and smooth, plain and patterned), combine visual and tactile qualities and use ceramic mosaic materials and techniques.