Year 6 – Y
Hello! Welcome to the ‘Wondering Ys’ class Page.
Hello! Welcome to the ‘Wondering Y’s’ class page. This year the team consists of: Mr Sykes and a team of other talented adults. We are all incredibly excited about the year which lay ahead. We feel privileged to be spending such a significant part of your child’s primary education together and look forward to sharing their successes and creating memories together which we will all remember forever!
We would like to take this opportunity to tell you what your children can expect as we embark on the next chapter of their education:
We will create a stimulating, engaging and exciting learning environment where your child will feel comfortable, confident and respected. Willing to try new things, this is something that most of us don’t want to hear. If we want to get really good at something there are no short cuts! Have the drive to constantly want to improve and to persevere when we find things challenging. We will bring lessons to life using a multitude of interactive resources, making their learning experience as fun as possible!
We will work independently on some projects and in teams on others but we will always recognise each other’s achievements and reward success. We will display our work with pride and share our accomplishments with the rest of the school.
We’re ready if you are and look forward to getting started.
In Year 6 we will be learning all about Space in our topic ‘Maybe we belong among the Stars.’
- In English, we will be writing non-chronological reports, poetry, narrative and descriptions linked to space. We will also be investigating astronauts and planets.
- In Mathematics, this half term we will approach a number of mathematical problems and we will be taking on the Year 6 curriculum. We will solve a range of fluency, reasoning and open-ended problems.
- In Science, we will learn about light, how we see, shadows, reflection and refraction. We will learn how light travels and how this enables us to see objects. We will have the opportunity to make a functioning periscope, finding out about mirrors and the angles of reflection.
- In History we will be investigating the changes in rocket designs and looking in-depth at Space travel. We will be asking our own questions and using a range of sources to answer them.
- In Geography we will familiarising ourselves with different geographical terms such as latitude, longitude, Equator, Northern Hemisphere, Southern Hemisphere, the Tropics of Cancer and Capricorn, Arctic and Antarctic Circle, and time zones.
- In Art and Design we will be using a range of drawing techniques and using these to add interesting effects.