Year 6 – Y
Hello! Welcome to the ‘Wondering Ys’ class Page.
Hello! Welcome to the ‘Wondering Y’s’ class page. As you will already know, the team consists of: Mr Sykes and a team of other talented adults. We have had a superb term and a half and want to maintain our momentum. We are privileged to be spending such a significant part of your child’s primary education together. We look forward to sharing in more of their successes and creating more memories together!
We would like to take this opportunity to tell you what your children can expect as we embark on the next chapter of their education:
We will create a stimulating, engaging and exciting learning environment where your child will feel comfortable, confident and respected. We are going to face subjects that will both inform and engage your children in their learning. We must continue to try new things, this is something is a continual challenge. We must continue to have the drive to constantly improve and to persevere when we find things challenging. We will continue to bring lessons to life using a multitude of interactive resources, making the learning experience as fun as possible!
We will work independently on some projects and in teams on others but we will always recognise each others achievements and reward success. We will display our work with pride and share our accomplishments with the rest of the school.
We’re ready for some more challenges and hard work when you are.
Our topic this half term has a historical focus based around World War 2 and is entitled “We shall never surrender!”
- In English, we will focus on the overview of WW2 initially to build up our understanding before looking at key topics and the horrific and heroic things that occurred.
- In Mathematics, this half term we will approach many mathematical problems and we will be taking on the Year 6 curriculum. We will solve a range of fluency, reasoning and open-ended problems.
- In Science, we will build on our knowledge and understanding of different systems within the body. We will research the parts and functions of the circulatory system and how nutrients are transported around the human body.
- In History we will look at how the world changed because of WW2 and how that impacted the world today. We will also look at a variety of sources of information and investigate what their viewpoint and impact.
- In Geography we will investigate the countries involved in WW2 and look at their features and how they are all interconnected.
- In Art and Design we will investigate WW2 art work and create our own based on them using a variety of media.