Year 6 – Y
Hello! Welcome to the ‘Wondering Ys’ class Page.
Hello! Welcome to the ‘Wondering Y’s’ class page. As you will already know, the team consists of: Mr Sykes and a team of other talented adults. We are excited for your children’s final half term at Cromwell Academy. We are privileged to be spending such a significant part of your child’s primary education together. We look forward to sharing in more of their successes and creating more memories together!
We would like to take this opportunity to tell you what your children can expect as we embark on the next chapter of their education:
We will create a stimulating, engaging and exciting learning environment where your child will feel comfortable, confident and respected. We are going to face subjects that will both inform and engage your children in their learning. We must continue to try new things, this is something is a continual challenge. We must continue to have the drive to constantly improve and to persevere when we find things challenging. We will continue to bring lessons to life using a multitude of interactive resources, making the learning experience as fun as possible!
We will work independently on some projects and in teams on others but we will always recognise each other’s achievements and reward success. We will display our work with pride and share our accomplishments with the rest of the school.
We’re ready for some more challenges and hard work when you are.
Our topic this half term is called “They think it's all over; it is now!” During this topic we will:
- Continue to focus on accurate and ambitious use of grammar from the new National Curriculum. We will link our writing to a variety of sporting events and look to develop our understanding of them.
- Be preparing everyone for next year and introducing a range of topics focusing on developing our fluency, reasoning and problem-solving skills. We will also be applying our increasing mathematical problems in a range of situations.
- Be finding out about the classification of living things, including micro-organisms. We will learn about the standard system of classification first developed by Carl Linnaeus, choosing an animal and researching its classification. We will have the opportunity to design their own ‘curious creature’ and classify it based on its characteristics.
- Use a range of geographical resources to give detailed descriptions and opinions of the characteristic features of a location linked to the Football World Cup in Russia.
- Continue to investigate the idea of Eternity. We will explore the definition of and popular ideas relating to the concept of eternity. We will compare concepts of eternity from both religious and non-religious worldviews.
- Be preparing for our KS2 production by creating props and various aspects of the staging to give the most effective and positive impact.