Welcome to Year 5 Willow tree class! Both myself (Mrs Wootton) and Mrs Yarnell cannot wait to teach you again and we are excited for the rest of the year to come.
Throughout the year we will be creating a happy, well-motivated and stimulating learning environment which will help the children grow as independent young people with a love for learning. We have lots of fantastic topics to learn this year looking at and researching a variety of subjects.
I have enjoyed teaching your children so far and am looking forward to watching them grow and become determined young learners who are always motivated to learn. Please feel free to come and ask any questions or discuss any concerns.
Our topic this half term has a text focus and is called ‘Ancient Greece’. During this half term:
- Our topic this half term is ‘Ancient Greece’ this offers a fabulous opportunity to explore the ancient world of the Greek civilisation. The children will be learning about where in the world Greece is and the roles of different people in Ancient Greek society.
- In English this half the children will gain an understanding of different writing techniques and will have the opportunity to put what they have learnt into practise by applying these to their work. We will be studying a variety of Greek Myths linked to this and investigating Spartan life.
- In Mathematics this half term, we will be honing our fluency, reasoning and problem-solving skills across a range of mathematical areas.
- In Science we will be learning about Electricity. We will learn about two of the most important scientific inventors in the field of electricity – Thomas Edison and Nikola Tesla. We will get the opportunity to develop our understanding of what electricity is and how to measure it.
- In Art and Design, we will be investigating different printing techniques and gaining an appreciation of artefacts from Ancient Greece and creating our own vase.