Welcome to Year 1 Palm Tree Class! My name is Mrs Guerin and I will be teaching Year 1 this year.
We are really excited to start our learning journey together and have many exciting topics planned this year, starting with ‘Toys R Us’. In our class we like to have fun with our learning and take part in practical, hands-on activities. We will be developing our independent learning skills as well as working hard together. Our achievements from both home and school will be celebrated and shared with family and the rest of our school.
We are really looking forward to getting to know you all better and we have a fantastic year ahead of us to look forward to. Please feel free to come and speak to me throughout the year should you have any questions, queries or concerns!
Our topic this half term will be Toys R Us and will be based on toys and games.
We will be:
- Looking at the differences between toys we play with now and those our grandparents played with.
- Learning about popular toys and games in different countries around the world.
- Designing and making our own puppets, making split pin toys and doing observational drawings of our favourite toys.
- Learning about the different creation stories of world religions.
- Writing a range of genres including stories, character descriptions, information texts, riddles, labels and captions.
- In Maths, our topics will be place value, addition and subtraction.
- We will be using computers to learn basic painting skills using a painting application on the IPads.
- Our science topic will be Every day materials. We will be comparing different materials, looking at their uses, learning about recycling and understanding how different materials can be discovered.
- In PSHE we will be learning about managing risks and keeping safe.