Welcome to Year 1 Palm Tree Class! My name is Mrs Guerin and I will be teaching Year 1 this year.
We have had a fabulous time in Year 1 so far this term looking at toys from the past and have been able to create some of our own split pin and junk model toys.
In our class we like to have fun with our learning and take part in practical, hands-on activities. We will be developing our independent learning skills as well as working hard together. Our achievements from both home and school will be celebrated and shared with family and the rest of our school.
We are really looking forward to our next topic ‘The Gunpowder Plot’ and have lots of exciting learning ahead of us to look forward to. Please feel free to come and speak to me throughout the year should you have any questions, queries or concerns.
Our topic this half term will focus around the historical event known as The Gunpowder Plot.
We will be:
- Writing a biography, diary entry, a set of fire safety instructions, retelling a Bonfire Night story in our own words and senses poems to describe fireworks;
- Continue to develop our addition and subtraction knowledge;
- Creating our own firework pictures, making and decorating our own toffee/chocolate apples and building out own mini Guy Fawkes doll;
- Making pictures of bonfires and develop our learning about coding during ICT;
- Looking at different places of worship and looking at how Christmas is celebrated in different countries around the world;
- Working Scientifically by asking questions and completing a number of experiments to answer these questions;
- Using maps and atlases to identify and name the four countries of the United Kingdom;
- Looking at the reliability of sources and discussing the information we know about the The Gunpowder Plot. We will be asking questions such as: What was it like for people in this time? What happened? How long ago?